Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Action List: Teenage Driving

So I picked option B, to read this article, I've had my license for almost a year and a half and I partially agree with what the article is saying.
Basically this group did a study on teenagers and young adults focusing on the influences passengers have on drivers. They had each 'guinea pig' play four different rounds of a simulated driving game while wearing a brain scanner. The pigs were told that they would receive prizes for finishing the game with a certain time. They had to make basic road decisions like whether or not to stop at yellow lights, which would result in a delay, or to speed through the yellow lights, which would result in a crash and an even longer delay.
For half of the game two of the pig's friends would be watching them from a nearby room. "Teenagers ran about 40 percent more yellow lights and had 60 percent more crashes when they knew their friends were watching." The article talks about how the presence of peers increases the pig's decision to take risks.
I agree that drivers are influenced by the passengers, but all drivers are affected differently. For example, I'll admit that when I have friends in my car I'll get so wrapped up in conversation I don't realize that I'm going a little bit over the speed limit. On the other hand, I know teenagers who text while they drive when they have friends in the car so they appear to be 'cool.'
Anyway, I think that teens need to focus and make decisions for themselves. Don't give into the peer pressure from your passengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment